Monday, September 28, 2015

9/28 Questions


  • Kafkaesque, as defined by Merriam-Webster, is an adjective that describes something as of, relating to, or suggestive of Franz Kafka or his writings; especially :  having a nightmarishly complex, bizarre, or illogical quality.
    • Last night, I had a dream that was very Kafkaesque, not only because I had no idea what was going on and nothing made sense, but mostly because I turned into a large beetle.
  • It was very Kafkaesque in the sense that I didn't really see the point in the story. It didn't tell me much about the time period, it didn't really give much insight into the main character or even the supporting case, and it didn't really seem complex as much as it seemed...boring. Once the Stoker brought Karl into the room with all the people, things did start getting out of hand, but by then I just wasn't involved with the story and I couldn't find a reason to care. I don't know if it was Kafka's writing itself, or maybe that it was a bad translation, but none of it interested me.
  • I've read Kafka before; in high school, we were assigned The Metamorphosis. And I hated it. Mostly, I'm not a fan of his work because I'm not really a fan of expressionist works in general, but in particular, his work just seems needlessly strange and disconnected from reality. He seems to be one of the most critically acclaimed authors of the early 20th century, and while I can respect and understand that, it just really isn't my cup of tea.

    Kafka is also known for a story called The Trial, which was published, like much of Kafka's work, posthumously. It is the story of a man who is arrested for a reason he nor the reader ever learns. I don't know much about the story.
  • The largest event that happened during Kafka's lifetime was World War I, and I feel that a lot of Kafka's work is influenced heavily by the horrors of this war. A lot of themes he wrote on were isolation and disconnect from family, which were common themes at these times.

No comments:

Post a Comment